Business Visas and Immigration

Every situation is different. We take the time to get to know our clients in order to be able to recommend the most appropriate visa strategy to fit their business and personal goals. The first question to ask is whether a visa is necessary or an application is advisable at this stage of the plans. No visa application should be made lightly as a denial carries with it unpleasant consequences, such as the inability to use the visa free entry under ESTA in the future. Here are some popular options:

Visa Waiver – entry with ESTA registration.
Citizens of certain countries do not require a visa to enter the US for brief visits not exceeding 90 days. Permitted activities include visiting business partners, subsidiaries and advisers; attending trade shows and seminars; assisting affiliates and subsidiaries. However, this status cannot be extended or changed. Read More

Business Visitor B-1:
Obtaining this visa may be a good idea if your stay will exceed 90 days and/or you may wish to have the flexibility to remain in the U.S. under a different category after your visiting activities have been concluded.

E Visas for Treaty Traders or Investors and their managerial or specialized knowledge employees:
Many countries enjoy special treaties of commerce and navigation that bring with them privileges for their citizens who engage in trade with or invest in the United States. See E Country Treaties

Requirements include at least 50% ownership by individuals from the treaty country. Primary visa holders must be citizens of the same treaty country.

Treaty Traders must engage in ‘substantial trade’ between their home countries and the U.S. Trade can be in goods or services.

Treaty Investors must make ‘substantial investments’ in an active business (no passive investments such as real estate held for appreciation) which generates more income than necessary to sustain the investor and his/her family. Generally, this requires running a business that makes an impact in the economy.

L Intra-company Transfers
Foreign companies with qualifying U.S. subsidiaries or affiliates can transfer qualifying executives, managerial and specialized knowledge employees from abroad to their US counterparts. The structures as well as the backgrounds and intended positions must be closely examined to see whether they fit USCIS guidelines.