Visa and Immigration Services

world Whatever your reason for coming to the United States or bringing in foreign individuals, we can help. The Henning Law Firm provides experienced legal counsel with a practice concentration on advising U.S. employers and foreign-owned businesses and individuals in the areas of business and immigration law (business visas for investors, executives and specialized knowledge employees, aliens of extraordinary ability); consulting and relationship building. Particular emphasis is placed on assisting foreign small/medium sized companies in establishing a presence in Florida.

Doing Business and Employment

Work authorization, temporary and permanent residence Various options exist depending on the underlying reason for presence in the United States. Business Traveler? Intern/Trainee? Entrepreneur? Superstar? Investor? Trader (Import/Export)? Journalist? Religious Worker? - each category has its own set of criteria and nuances.

Multinational Companies

The ability to transfer managerial/executive or specialized knowledge employees (including company shareholders) to a U.S. subsidiary or affiliate in a predictable manner enhances your ability to respond to market opportunities or challenges. Popular visa categories with enhanced processing options can give your company this flexibility. Employees must have worked in qualifying position for the foreign company for at least one year within the preceding three years and must be coming to the U.S. to fill a qualifying position. Extensions cannot exceed a total of seven years. Spouses can apply for independent work authorizations.

Treaty Trader or Treaty Investor Companies

To attract Foreign Direct Investment and encourage import/export activities, the United States maintain treaties of navigation and commerce with a number of countries. To see whether your home country qualifies, please visit Nationals of these countries enjoy special privileges that allow their companies - once properly classified as either Treaty Trader (E-1) or Treaty Investor (E-2) companies, to bring in managerial or specialized knowledge employees of the same nationality to work in their U.S. operations. E visas provide many advantages, including no limit on extensions and spouses' ability to apply for an independent work authorization. Children 'age out' at the age of 21. Unlike many other categories, the underlying merits of the E visa category are reviewed and adjudicated at U.S. consulates abroad.

U.S. Companies Seeking Foreign Talent

U.S. employers who have difficulty filling positions with qualified workers may want to entertain the hiring of foreign specialists in the H-1B category. Employers must pay a 'prevailing wage,' create conditions that do not disadvantage U.S. workers and fulfill various posting requirements. The offered position must require a four-year degree and the foreign employee must have a related four-year degree or its equivalent to be eligible.

Aliens of Extraordinary Ability

Foreign individuals with extraordinary abilities in the arts, sciences and in business U.S. companies can employ persons of extraordinary ability by virtue of their extraordinary background and their excellence and notoriety in their field of endeavor. Beneficiaries have to show that they meet at least three out of several requirements that show that they have risen to the top of their profession or field of endeavor. The beneficiary's background should be carefully evaluated to make sure that the individual achievements are properly presented to address as many requirements as possible. .

Married Couples and Families

Immediate Family Members - Spouses, children, parents of US Citizens While many family categories are subject to numerical limitations that cause year-long waiting periods, no numerical limitations exist for immediate family members of US citizens (including spouses, children (unmarried under 21) and parents). Processing times vary depending on the situation and whether one can adjust status in the U.S. or has to process through a consulate abroad. Other family members Adult or married children, spouses and children of lawful permanent residents as well as siblings of U.S. citizens are also eligible to apply for lawful permanent residence upon the approval of the application of their U.S. citizen relative and when their number has come up. Visit the visa bulletin published monthly by the U.S. State Department for more information. Click Here for more.


US lawful permanent residents who want to become US Citizens Generally, permanent residents who have had the Green Card for at least five years and have lived in the United States at least half of the past five years are eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship. The period is abbreviated for those who obtained their residence through marriage to a U.S. citizen. In addition to residency, applicants have to show knowledge of English, basic knowledge of the U.S. government and good moral character.

Retention of German Citizenship

German citizens who want to retain German citizenship German law considers dual citizenship an extraordinary circumstances and allows German nationals to retain their German citizenship only if they can demonstrate that they are disadvantaged living in the United States as German citizens. Various factors come into play and should be carefully evaluated to determine eligibility.